Y’all, I owe apologies and special thanks to two of you.
If it makes anyone feel better, even my real-life family and friends don’t usually receive prompt written notice of my gratitude. When Micah and I got married, our thank-you notes didn’t all get sent until more than six months later. It was real bad.
So, first, a sheepish apology and heartfelt thanks to glutenvygirl for the Sunshine Award, which is given to those who creatively and positively inspire others in the blogosphere:
This gal does some amazing things with gluten-free cooking, but her blog is worth visiting whether you’re gluten-free or not.
Next, an equally embarrassed and late thanks to johnnysenough hepburn at Feed the Piglet for my second Liebster nomination! (Liebster, which means ‘favorite’ in German, is a way to recognize your favorite blogs that have fewer than 200 followers.)
Feed the Piglet is another blog that’s definitely a must-visit. Lots of impressive burgers/patties/fritters, not to mention an amazing series of bulgur wheat salads and some very creative dips and spreads.
While I’m flattered to receive honors from both of these folks, the best part is passing the kudos on to some of my very deserving blogging colleagues.
So, first off, here are my five nominations for the Sunshine Award:
- Two Writing Teachers – Talk about long distance! These gals collaborate from 565 miles apart, not only to share amazing writing activities and resources, but also to inspire teachers like me to write on our own (which is something many teachers will tell you they don’t have time for). Whether you’re a teacher or not, visit this blog–you’ll be inspired.
- Pedagogy of the Plants – This blog is written by one of my real-life friends, Cameron, who teaches 3rd grade at my school. Stop by and check out some gorgeous photography of the flora (and fauna) around our neighborhood, lots of lovely examples of creative urban gardening, and some delicious vegan recipes.
- Vegetarian ‘Ventures – Micah and I are not vegetarian, but we eat and enjoy many meatless meals. And with awesome vegetarian blogs like this one to inspire us, I imagine we’ll be cooking up plenty more veggie-centered dishes in the future.
- Acorn in the Kitchen – This unique food blog is full of great photos and recipes (as you would expect), but it also incorporates fascinating food-related videos and some wonderful lessons in music appreciation, with many posts that celebrate both a delicious recipe and a talented musician. Very cool stuff.
- Savory Salty Sweet – What a clean, crisp, gorgeous blog! Besides the awesome alliterative name, this blog features some of the best food photography I’ve seen, with exciting recipes punctuated by vibrant step-by-step pictures. Simply amazing.
And now, (ignoring the part about <200 followers because I honestly don’t know how many followers any of these bloggers have) here are my five nominations for the Liebster Award:
- A Modern Christian Woman – Since Stephanie started this site in April, I’ve watched her blog grow and blossom into something amazing! Every time I stop in, she has added more and more mouthwatering recipes. Truly awesome!
- Fork and Beans – Like I mentioned above, I’m not a vegan, a vegetarian, or a gluten-free gal–but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy cooking like one! Cara’s story of how she came to cook and eat this way is honest and inspiring, and her recipes are pretty darn inspiring, too.
- spontaneous tomato – Kick-ass name aside, Allison’s blog also gets props for some really amazing recipes, with lots of focus on fresh fruits and veggies, eating with the seasons, and cooking foods that are simple but delicious.
- simply dish – Just visiting this blog, with its bright and colorful layout and color scheme, is enough to put a smile on my face. Stop by for some great recipes–especially baked goods–and just a bit of whimsy.
- Peri’s Spice Ladle – “Indian-inspired food for the Global Palate.” Need I say more? Whether you’ve cooked and eaten lots of Indian dishes in your lifetime or whether you’re adventurously testing those spicy, savory waters for the first time, you absolutely must drop by this blog for inspiration. Delicious!
Go forth and visit all of these wonderful blogs when you have the time. I promise, you won’t be disappointed.