Y’all know I love me some oatmeal.
Well, my mom and I were chatting the other day when I had a revelation: wouldn’t tea make an amazing cooking liquid for some oatmeal?
Yes. Yes, it would.
What’s in it:
- 1 cup unsweetened tea (I used one bag of decaf Constant Comment)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- zest from one orange
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine all the ingredients except the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender and your oatmeal is nice and thick.
- Stir in the butter. (This will make it extra creamy!)
- Divide the finished oatmeal into two bowls and enjoy. (And I promise, you will.)
This stuff smelled amazing. The tea had warm spices and orange peel in it anyway, which made my additions of cardamom and orange zest a lovely complement. The coconut added to the exotic feel, while honey and cranberries gave it just the right amount of sweetness. What a simple, delicious breakfast for a rainy Saturday….